In this guide, we will give you a solution if your firestick remote is not working, or you are having some other problem. Some of the common issues are as Firestick remote app not working, unable to pair with the device, volume, button, lights, mic, battery issues, and more. If you face any of the abovementioned problems, you are on the right page. Here, we have listed all possible causes for a not working Firestick remote.
Firestick remotes are not similar to other remotes we have in the house. Hence, it’s not easy to find out why the Firestick remote stopped working all of sudden. So, read the full article to fix your issue by following the steps mentioned in this guide.
The Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote is one of the most popular streaming devices. The reason behind its popularity is the 2nd Gen Remote, released in 2019. Amazon FireTVStick has high storage for applications than other media streaming devices. It provides limitless access to Amazon Prime members to stream high-quantity content.
Table of Contents
Firestick Remote Not-Working Reasons
There are lots of reasons if a Firestick remote stops working. Some of the most common issues include Pairing, Device Compatibility, and Sound Issues. Besides that, I have provided the list of the most common causes for a Firestick remote that suddenly stopped working. Follow the guidelines below to fix the issues one by one. You can try the factory reset on your Firestick if the issue persists.
#1. Distant and Obstruction
Distance might be the cause of the Amazon Firestick remote’s not working properly. However, this is not a big issue, but sometimes people ignore small things. As it’s a minor concern and not noticeable, they start proceeding on a higher level of troubleshooting. This is the reason I mentioned it in the very beginning. We should mind the distance from the device to the Amazon Firestick remote.
- The range should be within 15 feet of the device.
- If you have a spacious area, carry the remote near to the TV for better streaming.
- Firestick remotes use Bluetooth to connect to the device, not infrared (IR). Connecting doesn’t require a line-of-sight between the device and Firestick remote. You only need to pay heed to the distance.
However, if you have any obstruction in between Fire Stick and remote it may decrease the range.
Follow the below tips to examine if distance or obstruction is the issue:
- Remove obstructions, if any.
- If the Firestick device is stored towards an amusement shelter, carry it out to check if the remote works.
- If the remote works, only when you are near your Fire TV, I suggest you use the enlarged dongle for repositioning.
- How to Install Cinema HD APK
- Amazon Firestick Complete Guide
- Watch Hotstar in USA/UK
- Install Youtube on Firestick
- How to Jailbrak a Firestick
- How to Setup a Firestick
- Best Firestick Apps
- How to Restart Amazon Firestick
#2. Battery Problem
This is the most common issue for Amazon Fire TV Stick Remote users. Generally, there is a chance that the Firestick remote stops working due to battery problems. The reasons for the battery issues are listed below:
- You should insert the battery after cleaning its connectors with a dry cloth, it might be possible for your Fire Stick remote to start working again.
- If the battery is not inserted properly remote does not work, all the batteries consist of ‘+’ and ‘-‘ sides. So, check the ports before inserting them. The + port should be connected to the + side of the connector. If the battery is not inserted properly, the Amazon Fire TV Stick remote won’t work.
- Amazon Fire TV Stick Remote users should use good quality, alkaline batteries. Alkaline batteries purchased from the reputed producer keep your Fire Stick remote reliable and have a long-lasting performance.
- Check if the battery is not charged.
- Further, use the remote battery correctly for the Amazon Fire Stick remote to work well.
Note: Fire Stick Remotes consume more power as compared to other remotes. If you spend lots of time streaming media, you should use better-quality batteries for your Amazon Firestick Remote.
In case the problem persists. Under those circumstances, the battery is not the reason for the remote not working. You should try something else to fix the issue.
#3. Firestick Remote Not Pairing?
Upon buying a new Firestick device with an included remote, you get it pre-paired with your device. You do not need to set it up again. If it’s not paired, you need to do it on your own. Further, if you replace your Firestick Remote, you must pair it before using it.
However, if the remote is not pairing with your device or due to network /system issues, it becomes unpaired. It won’t work at all. Do not worry; follow the steps given below to pair a remote to a Firestick device:
- First, you need to plug in your Firestick to the TV’s High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port.
- Make sure both FireStick and TV are on.
- Wait for the Firestick to boot up.
- Continuously press the Home button on your Firestick remote for at least 10 seconds.
- Now, release the button, and check if the remote is working properly.
- If any issue occurs and the remote doesn’t start working, hold down the Home button again for at least 15-20 seconds. However, sometimes it takes many attempts for this process to operate.
Note: Including a remote controller, Firestick can allow 7 Bluetooth devices. If it’s already connected with seven devices, you can not connect anymore. Still, if you need to connect, you must first disconnect at least one of the devices from them.
To disconnect the already connected device, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Firestick ‘Home‘ screen, and choose Settings.
- Click on the Controllers & Bluetooth Devices, a new window will open, here you can see a list of all the devices connected to Firestick.
- Click on the device that you choose to unpair.
- Kindly, know that sometimes it takes time to pair with Firestick. Try at least 3 to 4 times.
If pairing is the reason for the Firestick remote’s not working, definitely, the above point will help you to recover the issue, else try the next resolution.
#4. Check Device Compatibility
If you have purchased a new Firestick device then this step is not for you. This step is for the users who have purchased a replacement remote for the existing Firestick device. Kindly, check the remote whether is compatible or not. If the remote is not working and there is a pairing issue, you must check if the remote you have purchased is compatible with your device. There are many generations of Firestick, Firestick 4K, Fire TV, Fire Stick TV, Fire TV remotes, and each works differently. Of course, the remote should be compatible with the device you are using.
Further, you should verify the seller’s authentication. Because there are some inferior duplicates of the remote with a similar design. These remotes look like the original ones, however, do not perform well.
Amazon keeps a list of remotes and devices, that may help you to confirm the remote and device are equally proficient in operating together.
#5. Is Firestick Remote Damaged?
If you have tried all the steps but the remote is still not working, probably this is time to admit that the remote has been damaged. The reason can be anything for damage such as drain device, dust, down to the floor (remote maybe crack internally), etc.
In that case, you do not have other options other than buying a replacement remote for your Firestick. However, it doesn’t cost much. You can buy the remote on Amazon for 8$-12$. There are lots of options, though do not forget to check the review and rating, it should be 4+.
Until you can use your Android or iPhone app as a remote for your Firestick device. To access your Firestick device through your phone, you have to install the Firestick remote application. You can install the app from the Google Play Store and Apple Store. The good news is that you need not pay anything for it as it is completely free. Though, you can directly download this app from the below links:
Firestick remote app offers the Alexa Voice control button. If you have decided to install the Remote app, you have to pair this app with your Firestick device also. Follow the steps below:
- Open your Firestick device set for it to boot up.
- Now download and install the Firestick remote app, launch the app.
- Forthwith you have to Sign in for Amazon Firestick remote app.
- Pick your device.
- Wait for a four-digit code to appear on your TV, and insert it in the app.
- That’s all, your app and Firestick device are now paired. Enjoy streaming!
I have explained all the possible causes for which the Firestick remote can stop working. Moreover, if you have encountered any other reason. Kindly, let us know through the comment section given below, your reach will be appreciated.
Click here for the full guide.